UA Affiliated

UA Faculty, Staff or Students Wishing to Film on Campus

UA faculty, staff or students do not need to get permission for filming or photography if:

  • The filming requires no special services (e.g. parking or security) or in any way disrupts the normal functioning of the University.
  • The filming is for non-commercial or internal use.
  • The filming is for UA-affiliated websites, social media or personal use.
  • The filming is done inside a film/photography studio operated by any UA colleges/schools, departments or divisions.
  • The filming is for a class or research project that does not require special services (e.g. parking or security) or disrupts the normal functioning of the University.*

*Students, faculty or staff who plan to use campus or any buildings as a set for documentaries, short or feature films should follow the procedures below so that any logistical problems can be minimized.

Colleges/Schools who contract with an outside production company for filming on campus should follow the procedures listed below.

All students, faculty and staff wishing to use an Unmanned Aircraft System on campus must follow the procedures listed below.

Procedures to Film on Campus

Filming Request

All persons wishing to film on the UA campus should fill out the Filming Request Form.

A filming request form should be submitted at least ten (10) working days prior to the planned filming.

Location Agreement

If a college/school, department or division is using an outside production company/producer/photographer for a project, the producer/production company must sign a Location Agreement, and provide a Certificate of Insurance to UA evidencing that the producer/production company has the following insurance policies:

  • General Liability Insurance with a deductible of not more than $1,000 and limits of not less than $1,000,000 per occurrences insuring against all liability of the Producer/Production Company and its authorized representatives arising out of or in connection with the use and occupancy of the location
  • Property Damage Liability Insurance with a deductible of not more than $2,500, and a limit of not less than $1,000,000 per occurrence
  • Adequate Workmen’s Compensation Insurance
  • Adequate Automobile Insurance

A Location Agreement will be sent electronically to the producer/production company after approval of the filming request.

No filming by a non-UA affiliated individual or organization can take place at UA without the execution of a Location Agreement by both the producer/production company and UA.

Grounds Use Permit

All persons wishing to film outdoors at UA must complete an application for a Grounds Use Permit.

A GUP should be submitted at least ten (10) working days prior to the planned filming.

A GUP is necessary for logistical purposes including avoiding scheduling conflicts with others who may also want to use the same area, ensuring that Landscaping and Grounds is notified (to clean the area, remove trash, turn off sprinklers, etc.), and informing UAPD of the filming.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems Registration

The use of UAS (Unmanned Aircraft Systems), also referred to as drones, for filming at The University of Alabama will only be allowed under limited circumstances, and is highly discouraged. Policies, requirements and forms related to UAS use are posted at

Due to UA’s proximity to the Tuscaloosa National Airport, and two helipads, one of which serves DCH Regional Medical Center, the main campus is considered restricted airspace by the Federal Aviation Administration.

All flights of UAS are prohibited on University properties during all outside events, including but not limited to:

  • Any sporting or athletic event, including games, practices, and any other associated outside activities
  • Game day, game day weekends, or any other game day related events, including A-Day
  • Any group or outside social events, including concerts, ceremonies, Bid Day, and/or events associated with Week of Welcome
  • University parades on or off campus property
  • Scheduled group events, including graduation


Questions about filming at UA or these procedures should be directed to Stephanie Pettis, Associate Director of Communications, at